Gwalior judge alleges sexual harassment: ‘You never visited me alone…see how I destroy your career’

The lady judge said she didn’t lodge a formal complaint against the HC judge as she wasn’t given an opportunity to do so.

Written by Maneesh Chhibber | New Delhi | Updated: August 26, 2014 10:01 pm
The judged alleged that the High Court judge who had sexually harassed her had threatened her with dire consequences. The judged alleged that the High Court judge who had sexually harassed her had threatened her with dire consequences.

The former Additional District and Sessions Judge, Gwalior, who resigned after alleging that she was sexually harassed by a sitting judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court today moved the Supreme Court seeking justice.

Breaking her silence a month after she resigned, she alleged that the High Court judge who had sexually harassed her had threatened her with dire consequences.

ALSO READ: ‘When I tried to move away,he kissed my arm,repeated he loved me… Asked me to share room’

Speaking to The Indian Express  today, she said: “After my transfer, he told me: Aap mere bungalow par ek baar bhi akeli nahin aayi ho. Aapne meri baat na maanne ka parinaam bhugta hai. Aage dekhiye main aapka career tabah kar doonga, chaupat kar doonga  (He told me that I had never visited his bungalow alone…that my transfer was the price I paid for not doing as he wished…Wait and watch as I destroy your career).”

“Under the rules, it is only the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court who can conduct a discreet inquiry to verify the fact. Once he is convinced, he has to send a report to the Chief Justice of India. Finally, it is the CJI, who sets in motion the inquiry under the in-house procedure. I tried five to six times to meet the MP HC Chief Justice. But he was not ready to meet me. When the head of our judicial family in the state was not ready to meet, who could I turn to? To the District Judge, who was involved in the crime? To the other judge who was also involved? I could only have gone to the Chief Justice, the karta  of the family. But, unfortunately, he was not even ready to see me. The procedure — in case the complaint is against a HC judge — is that the complaint has to be sent to the Chief Justice through the district judge. But in this case the district judge was also involved in my sexual harassment. He would have simply torn up the complaint and initiated action against me on some cooked-up charges,” she said.

She said the inquiry being conducted currently was a “sham and an eyewash” aimed at “continuing her harassment and saving the accused”.

“Judges refer to each other as brother and sister,” she said. “And, here I am, seeking justice from my seniors, my brothers, who are refusing to do anything only because a judge of the HC is the accused… they (judges) only want to save their brother and save the institution rather than save the dignity of a woman…Everyone is trying to secure the future of the brother notwithstanding the crime he has committed. Sister doesn’t exist now. This is the system I am fighting,” she said.

The former judge, who broke down while speaking to this reporter, said she had not resigned but had been “forced out of her job”.

“That was the aim of the judge. Either to fulfil his nefarious demands or be kicked out of the job. And, he succeeded,” she alleged.

She said that she had now filed a petition in the apex court seeking justice because “I hope to get justice and my dignity restored at the hands of my elder brothers in the Supreme Court.”

Asked if any attempt was made to get her to retract her resignation, the former judge said: “No. In fact, the speed with which everything happened, only strengthens my belief that no justice would have been done to me… The resignation was faxed to Jabalpur around 4-5 pm of July 15. On July 17, after being cleared by everyone, including the HC CJ and state Law Secretary, I was sent a fax informing me that my resignation had been accepted — in less than 48 hours… It was as if they were waiting for my resignation letter.”

ALSO READ: Sexual Harassment at workplace – Tips to protect yourself!

1. T
    TIHARwale
    Aug 26, 2014 at 2:48 pm
    Today making it mandatory to provide e mail ids of Registrar of Court say High Court in the home page of concerned courts would solve this problem. The lady judge could have filed her complaint ( even any one having faced issues of corruption involving Judges and Peshkars ( who are known to collude with advocates in alloting hearing dates and acting as conduits) and there was no way the head of the court can claim the issue was not brought to his notice. ot os 7 years e governance has not been implemented in courts. if manish chibbers mail id is published i can share unsavory happening in courts
      Kulkarni
      Aug 26, 2014 at 10:22 am
      Are you eagerly hoping that the allegations are false? Is it because the judge is your family? What do you mean by lets keep our fingers crossed? I don't think you understand the correct usage of that term. Please spend two minutes looking up that term's meaning before using it again.
        Kulkarni
        Aug 26, 2014 at 10:28 am
        With so many cases of ual harment in India its hard to separate out fact from fiction. Even if the guy is innocent, the western media will incessantly attack him (and all Indian men) over this. Hopefully there will be an unbiased investigation and if he is guilty, he should be immediately relieved of all his responsibilities. Unless we send a clear message that this won't be tolerated anymore, this won't stop.
          Mukul
          Aug 26, 2014 at 6:48 am
          It is incomprehensible that the very insution responsible for dispensing justice has such a flawed mechanism of addressing crimes committed by their own people. Why should an inquiry be initiated after the Chief Justice gives the go ahead? Why can't the victim move straight to a police station and lodge a complaint of harment and get the investigation done and arrest made if necessary? The independence of judiciary from executive control should not imply impunity and immunity from punishment. In recent times such cases of harment are hitting the headlines on a regular basis. The government, therefore, must look into the issue and try to replace the system of judges investigating complaints against judges with a somewhat more effective mechanism that does not differentiate between a crime committed by a man in black robe and by an ordinary criminal.
            Purna Varma
            Aug 26, 2014 at 3:42 pm
            It has become urgent that the judiciary be more transparent in conducting enquiries of their own kind. It has further been impressed upon the civilians that judiciary is never going to use modern technology to their advantage and clear millions of cases pending some for 50 years or so. It is a real shame on all Indians. A mockery of our deemocracy.
              deevee Pariyarath
              Aug 26, 2014 at 10:48 pm
              Shame for the entire judiciary. No reason to unbeleive the victim.SC should intervene to dispense justice to the victim judge
                Santano Fernandes
                Aug 26, 2014 at 7:10 pm
                Liar, any child can also make out from her talk that she is lying but not this reporter I think, reporters immediately believe anything and that is their job
                1. I
                  irfan
                  Aug 27, 2014 at 4:07 am
                  Ache deen anewale hai wait and see