World-renowned yoga guru and founder of the Iyengar School of Yoga B K S Iyengar passed away here early this morning following illness.
96-year-old Iyengar had been ailing since some time and was admitted to a private hospital here a week back. He was put on dialysis after his condition worsened two days back.
He breathed his last at 3.15 AM.
Iyengar, honoured with Padma Vibhushan, is survived by a son and daughter.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The legendary yoga guru was admitted to a city hospital on August 12 following complaints of acute breathlessness and palpitation, Dr Deepali Mande, who attended on him, told PTI.
“He did not want to be admitted to hospital even though he was unwell at home for almost three weeks. Iyengar had a cardiac (ailment) history. His condition subsequently worsened leading to renal failure after which he was put on dialysis,”she said.
During the last phase, Iyengar was feeling drowsy, she said.
“He was not keen on having any food,” the doctor added.
Iyengar was considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and had written many books on yoga practice and philosophy including ‘Light on Yoga’, ‘Light on Pranayama’, and ‘Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali’.