Saturday, Sep 20, 2014

‘Yasin aide discussed Delhi blasts with man killed in Batla shootout’

Express News Service | New Delhi | Posted: March 25, 2014 1:58 am

Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal’s close aide Asadullah Akhtar had discussed plans to execute the September 13, 2008 serial blasts in New Delhi with Mohd Atif Ameen, who was killed in the Batla House encounter on September 19, 2008, Delhi Police told a court Monday.

The special cell of the Delhi Police told the court that as per the forensic report, Akhtar’s voice sample has matched intercepted telephonic conversations between him and Ameen on September 7 and 8, 2008.

“The voice sample of Asadullah Akhtar alias Haddi has been matched with intercepted voice calls,” the police said while seeking time till April 3 to conclude their probe against Bhatkal and Akhtar in the 2008 serial blasts case.

Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash allowed the police plea, while dismissing the bail plea of Bhatkal and Akhtar, who are presently in Mumbai under the custody of the Maharashtra ATS.

The special cell, in its plea seeking extension of time to conclude its probe in a bomb blast case in Karol Bagh in which 21 people had died, said it has also received inputs about one of the wanted accused. “The operation to apprehend accused Ariz Khan alias Junaid is under way and teams are already in the field to apprehend him. One more suspect involved in this case has been detected in a west Asian country and necessary action is being carried out for his extradition/deportation,” police said.

Thirteen suspected IM members are facing trial for the September 2008 Delhi serial blasts, which claimed 26 lives.

Bhatkal and Akhtar were arrested by the National Investigation Agency on the Indo-Nepal border on August 28 last year.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 959 other followers