Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, who was lodged in Hazaribagh central jail since June 3, was granted bail on Wednesday and would be released on Thursday. With his release will begin a new episode — what began as an apparent agitation aga-inst poor power supply in the district, has now become a race to be the BJP’s chief ministerial candidate in the Assembly elections, expected to be held this November.
Sinha’s lawyers had filed bail applications for him and 52 supporters on Tuesday after L K Advani visited him in jail.
Advani’s visit was the high point in what has been an eventful fortnight during which Sinha along with son Jayant — the newly-elected MP of Hazaribagh — has taken the initiative from three-time CM Arjun Munda. Now, Munda has to stand by and suffer in silence as Yashwant’s friend Shatrughan Sinha and his one-time mentor Advani endorsed the former Union finance minister’s ambitions.
Meanwhile, the agitation which he spearheaded has had a domino effect across the state. It led to Yashwant’s incarceration after he admitted that members of the BJP’s women’s wing had tied up Jharkhand State Electricity Board general manager Dhanesh Jha on June 2 on his instructions. Therefore, after implicating himself into the case and ensuring arrest, 76-year-old Yashwant did a Kejriwal by refusing to apply for bail.
Though some might say the stir changed nothing — power cuts of upto 12 hours a day continue unabated even in Hazaribagh town — Yashwant’s team claims credit for the fact that Besh village in Katkamdag block has been electrified.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
With Sinha’s release and the arrival of monsoon, the pitch of the agitation may come down. But Sinha has made his point — the BJP in Jharkhand has discussed loudly the possibility of a non-adivasi CM for the first time.