Yash Chopra & Bollywood to Zakir Naik & hijab: such a short journey

Mumbai-based Murcyleen Peerzada is now a public speaker on Islam.

Written by Irena Akbar | New Delhi | Updated: August 20, 2014 10:39 am
peerzada480 Murcyleen Peerzada is a 23-year-old Kashmiri woman based in Mumbai

She wanted to be like Kareena Kapoor, and “could not wait to act in a movie”. In her last year of college, she “got offers from casting directors who would scout for faces in campuses and on Facebook”. But her “well-to-do” Mumbai-based Kashmiri Muslim family would not allow her to take up any film job unless it was offered by Yash Chopra’s YRF (Yash Raj Films). That was in 2012.

Two years on, Murcyleen Peerzada, a 23-year-old Kashmiri woman based in Mumbai, does not idolise Kareena. She now dreams of “being like Yasmin Mogahed”, an Egypt-born American preacher known for her talks and articles on Islam.

There are other changes in Peerzada’s life. She has given up her “Westernised, flamboyant” lifestyle. From a “crazy shopaholic” who would lap up the “most expensive dresses and jeans”, she now wears an all-black burqa. Speaking to The Indian Express over phone, she says, “During my last trip to Dubai, I bought a lot of burqas; earlier, I’d shop for Western clothes.”

Her social media profile pictures have gone from her posing in glamorous tops to one in which she is draped in a hijab. All covered up, Peerzada is now an orator with the Mumbai-based, Zakir Naik-headed Islamic Research Foundation, and gives public talks on Islam in the city. Her last talk was at a ladies-only conference in Srinagar.

What caused the sudden, drastic transformation in Peerzada’s aspirations and lifestyle? The Islamic preacher, though, says the change was anything but drastic. It began, she says, with Bollywood. Her father, Feroze Peerzada, a wealthy businessman who “had known Yash Chopra for the last three decades, since the days he wanted to be an actor” introduced her to the late Yash Chopra & Bollywood to Zakir Naik & hijab: such a short journey filmmaker in 2012. He offered her the job of an assistant director on the movie Ek Tha Tiger.

“That, I took, as a stepping stone to becoming an actor. I was fascinated with acting.” Then, she was signed up for YRF’s Shuddh Desi Romance as a costume assistant director. But since the director Maneesh Sharma likes to take up newcomers for his movies, he asked her to do a screen test. “When I faced the camera, I suddenly felt exposed, emotionally and physically, even though I was wearing a salwar kameez. I felt vulnerable and uncomfortable. I just got up, and said, ‘I don’t want to do this,’” she says.

After some introspection, she realised that “actors are always so exposed” and texted Yash Chopra’s son, filmmaker Aditya Chopra, that she has changed her mind about acting. “I didn’t even want to be an assistant director any more. It’s too hectic a job. What’s the point if you don’t want to be an actor any more?” she says. She then decided to become a costume stylist and began working with designer Manish Malhotra. Then, in October 2012, Yash Chopra passed away. “He was my mentor, and when he died, I felt I lost a big support. The idea of death shook me. I started questioning life. I wanted to look beyond singing, dancing and all that rubbish. What is the purpose of this life, I started thinking,” she says.

Peerzada quit her work with Malhotra, and sat at home for three-four months. “I was depressed. All my friends were being launched in the film world. And here I was, giving up all opportunities,” she says. Then, she saw a file of papers gathering dust in her home. “It was lying around in our home for six years. Someone had come and given that file to us, and we never bothered to look it up,” she says.

That evening in early 2013, she finally looked it up. It was a transcript of a video of Zakir Naik on the topic ‘Women in Islam’. “I was not religious. I would pray only occasionally. But this file gripped me. I finished reading it that evening itself,” she says. That helped her find her “purpose in life”.

“I researched online and watched YouTube videos of Nouman Ali Khan and Yasmin Mogahed. I felt very enlightened and wanted to be like them,” she says. But she first needed to learn about religion. So, in March 2013, she enrolled for a course at IRF, under the tutelage of Farha Naik, the wife of Zakir Naik, “the most accurate researcher”. “I am doing their most advanced course in order to become an IRF orator,” she says. Giving talks at the IRF centre in Mumbai is a part of her course. She has delivered close to 10 lectures so far and, on August 10, she organised an ‘Islamic peace conference’ in Srinagar with the help of her father, “who has been supportive of and is inspired by” her transformation.

Her tweets are usually re-tweets of Islamic scholars, and most are spiritual, asking people to turn to Allah to solve problems in their lives. “I don’t believe in teaching extremism. I have a very liberal approach towards religion. Angry speeches are not going to eventually appeal to the young, only love and wisdom can. Islam is a religion in controversy, and it needs youngsters like us to reach out to young Muslims in a humourous, light manner. American preacher Nouman Ali Khan cracks jokes in between his talks. That’s how it should be,” she says.

None of Peerzada’s talks are up on YouTube, but on Instagram, where she goes by the username ‘turntoallah’ and has 19,000 followers, she has posted 10-15-second videos of the Srinagar conference. In one, she says, “Nobody forced me. I started wearing the hijab on my own. I have never felt so strong and liberated in my life.”

In another clip, she says, “I don’t want to be a seductress, calling people to the wrong things, which is why I left and I think that is the best decision I’ve ever made in my life.” One video has her saying, “Be friends with the righteous people, the company that will guide you to the right side.” Peerzada, in line with her lectures, has cut off with all her “partying, clubbing friends”.

Though Peerzada, who is doing her Masters in Islamic Studies from the Islamic Online University in Qatar, says she focuses on the “spiritual aspects” of the religion, and “has no say on who wears what”, some of her posts on Instagram suggest otherwise. “They (the media) reduce women to objects that satisfy men and cause only a negative impact in people’s life including social networking sites. All the girls should learn to value themselves and their bodies. Cover up for the sake of Allah! Your body and also your character… My friends aren’t the girls who display themselves to the world, my friends are the girls who say they believe in Allah and prove it everyday. They’re the kinds that will Insha Allah reunite with me in jannah. Their goal isn’t ‘boys, parties and fashion’. Their goal is jannah.”

Peerzada feels that young Muslims are “bombarded with Westernisation”. “Half the songs we listen to and hum support a swag lifestyle. You know, like Kanye West’s song I am a God.” Her other issue with young Muslims is that they “don’t understand the meaning of the Quran because they’ve only read it in Arabic”. “We need to connect to the youth, speak in their language, be like some online preachers who are so joyful and approachable,” she says.

It seems she is on that path to “connect to the Muslim youth”. She writes in a post on Instagram: “Yesterday there was a musical concert in Kashmir 15 minutes away from our conference which was attended by Bollywood actors Sohail Khan and Suniel Shetty. For Kashmir, that’s something rare. We were asked to move our conference so that we may be able to pull a crowd. But look at Allah’s greatness, we gathered a crowd of 4,000 people and the concert a crowd of 200.” In a video she posted, Kashmiri women are haggling to shake hands with Peerzada, dressed in a shimmering black cloak. “I was walking in a street in Mumbai, and five young burqa-clad girls came to me and said that they recognise me as someone who’s give a public talk,” she says.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Muslim Media
    Oct 5, 2016 at 1:28 pm
    This report has been translated in Bengali language by Muslim Media team.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;বলিউড থেকে ইসলামের পথে –
      DandG
      Jul 6, 2016 at 12:20 pm
      Mazaa*****... Not Malala.....just believe in humanism... Religion since its inception has created bloodshed and is biggest black for youth energy going down the drain.....Every religion says its supreme and then the division of society starts...respect all religions but all come under preview of humanism...so just love humanity....westernisation will not kill humans but fundamentalism will
        DandG
        Jul 6, 2016 at 12:10 pm
        Zindagi ka Malala to khatte mein hai
        1. J
          jameel
          Apr 17, 2016 at 8:58 am
          ALLAH GUIDES PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO FOLLOW RIGHT PATH,WESTERN CULTURE IS NOT CULTURE OF JESUS CHRIST,HINDUS HAVE FORGOTTEN WORSHIP OF ONE GOD OF VEDAS AND BHAGWAT GITA .lt;br/gt;ALLAH WILL NEVER FORGIVE WHO WORSHIP OTHER THAN ONE GOD AND ALLAH .lt;br/gt;WHAT HAPPENS IN FILMS EVERY ONE KNOWS,THEY HAVE AB NORMAL SOCIAL NORMS.,PERVERT LIFE,LIVE AND LET DIE POLICY.lt;br/gt;INDEED SHE WILL BE REWARDED FOR GOOD SHE HAS DONE TO HERSELF .lt;br/gt;PRAY TO ALLAH FOR RIGHT GUIDANCE .lt;br/gt;SHOBHA DE WELL EXPALINS WHAT IS BOLLYWOOD, AND JACKIE COLLIN TOO ABOUT HOLLYWODD BEHIND THE SCREEN LIFE
            S Mushtaque
            Jul 11, 2015 at 11:15 am
            Alhamdulliah, Allah has given a good path. Hamesha is per qayam raho aur join other with Islam
              Azam Khan
              Jan 1, 2015 at 3:35 am
              Mohammed SAWS was first marry a widow ,when he was 21 years old, and the age of the women was 42.
              1. h
                hussainabbas512@yahoo
                Feb 15, 2015 at 11:26 pm
                bahot Achy.Alah Pak isi tara sab ko Serat e Mustakeem atta Farmain...Ameen
                1. L
                  LG
                  Mar 16, 2015 at 10:08 am
                  While I respect this woman's decision of giving up a career in Bollywood and taking to religious preaching, she has no business to comment on the morality of people who made a different decision than her. Why are actresses "seductresses" ? What do you mean by calling your friends who went for parties and clubbing as "unholy" and worth cutting off contact? They might for all she knows be better and purer human beings. It smells of religious extremism.
                  1. N
                    Nadeem Manzar
                    Oct 25, 2015 at 8:52 am
                    May be she has embraced Islam under the influence of wahabi's but the point is she is now a muslim and true worshipper of Allah subha no taalladeed she will be rewarded for her holy decision.
                    1. L
                      loveislam
                      Jan 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm
                      She was not six, she was 12 to 15. And their marriage consummated when she was 18. Also hazrat Ayesha (ra) was NOT his g daughter! Please stop humiliating any religion when u do not have any knowledge, but heresay, and google unauthentic sources!
                        Syed Aaqib
                        Jul 27, 2015 at 7:02 pm
                        ALLAH guides whom he wills
                          SHARMEEN
                          Apr 29, 2015 at 5:48 pm
                          Alhumdulillah,Ms peerzada It's great to hear your conversion from YRF to IRF
                            Sam
                            Jan 19, 2015 at 5:47 am
                            This means that Purnima is smoking something :) :)...
                              Speaker
                              Jan 15, 2015 at 8:49 am
                              Dear Harry, now have no choice, that deserved for that
                                Speaker
                                Jan 15, 2015 at 8:28 am
                                Dear Hindu, if you talking about rape, why you gone so far to IS or Yazidi etc. In INCREDIBLE INDIA every day bases and almost every states are facing rapping Indian girls by Indian man and either killed her or hanged on the tree.If you throw stone to sheet , definitely squirt will comes to you as sheet not a perfume.
                                  Speaker
                                  Jan 15, 2015 at 8:41 am
                                  Dear Phoenix, the ration percentage are which authentic resourses you have been taken. Same Bush/Obama/Blair/Nitenyahu School of thought. Come out from these universities, open up your own minds then only you would be knowing.
                                    Speaker
                                    Jan 15, 2015 at 8:44 am
                                    Dear harry , why you not look at Israil Terrorist, who killed innocent children's and woman. How many % of terrorism of that as per you refer of Mark calculations.
                                      Speaker
                                      Jan 15, 2015 at 8:46 am
                                      Harry your parameter of good and bad in money, I would say you are poorest person in the world in terms of KNOWLEDGE.
                                        Speaker
                                        Jan 15, 2015 at 8:35 am
                                        Mark first know what Islam is, then talk, your stupidity is obvious due to your poor knowledge. You ears open for Bush, Blair and Nitenyahu type of stupid people. Leave politicians go to the normal people and find your self. Dont trust on CNN and BBC only.
                                        1. V
                                          vijay s
                                          Apr 9, 2015 at 12:43 pm
                                          She has been converted to wahabism by Zakir Naik
                                          1. B
                                            Bikaz Dizoncavello
                                            Aug 25, 2014 at 1:21 am
                                            A peaceful message to all Muslims & Islam Haters!WWW.IslamHaters.SkyrockPEACE, LOVE, LIGHT, UNDERSTANDING & RESPECT!