In a suspected case of witch hunt, a 45-year-old man was allegedly burnt to death by a group of villagers in Ganjam district of Odisha on Wednesday on suspicion of practising witchcraft. Two persons have been arrested for the killing.
- Elderly woman, grand-daughter hacked to death in Odisha
- Eunuch among two burnt to death in Gujarat
- Bear beaten to death by angry villagers in Odisha
- Video shows man, believed to be Nigerian, being thrashed
- Rajasthan: 40-year-old widow branded witch, made to eat faeces, beaten to death
- Odisha: Two tribal men killed over witchcraft allegations
Police said villagers of Dhepaguda in Sanakhemundi block of Ganjam allegedly thrashed Prakash Mallick and burnt him to death. “We seized some bones and ashes from the cremation ground,” said Ajay Barik, inspector-in-charge of Patapur police station. Police said villager Runa Mallick, 28, slipped and fell down the stairs last week. He succumbed to his injuries in hospital next day.
However, Runa’s brother suspected Prakash to be behind the death.