In a suspected case of witch hunt, a 45-year-old man was allegedly burnt to death by a group of villagers in Ganjam district of Odisha on Wednesday on suspicion of practising witchcraft. Two persons have been arrested for the killing.
- Caught between Odisha and Andhra, villagers who vote in both states
- ‘Ragging’ case: Odisha sends team to probe engineering student death
- Odisha police to probe engineering student’s death in Visakhapatnam college
- Elderly woman, grand-daughter hacked to death in Odisha
- Bear beaten to death by angry villagers in Odisha
- Odisha: Two tribal men killed over witchcraft allegations
Police said villagers of Dhepaguda in Sanakhemundi block of Ganjam allegedly thrashed Prakash Mallick and burnt him to death. “We seized some bones and ashes from the cremation ground,” said Ajay Barik, inspector-in-charge of Patapur police station. Police said villager Runa Mallick, 28, slipped and fell down the stairs last week. He succumbed to his injuries in hospital next day.
However, Runa’s brother suspected Prakash to be behind the death.