The CPM state secretariat has picked up former Gujarat-cadre IAS officer Christy Fernandez, who had been the secretary to former president Prathibha Patil, as the party candidate in Ernakulam constituency. A formal announcement will be made only after the CPM state committee ratifies the list of party candidates.
Fernandez will take on sitting MP and minister K V Thomas.
Both belong to the Latin Catholic community, which has a considerable presence in Ernakulam constituency.
Although a formal announcement is yet to come, Fernandez Thursday met Cardinal George Alanchery in Kochi (Ernakulam). After meeting the Cardinal, he told the media, “The Left has better prospect in Ernakulam. The anti-incumbency factors against the Congress governments in the state and the Centre are enough to bring the LDF success, irrespective of who the candidate is.’
He said his meeting had little to do with the candidature. “It was a routine visit,’’ he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
While Cardinal Alanchery is the head of Kerala-based Syro-Malabar Roman Catholic Church, which is also a prominent vote bank in the constituency, Fernandez belongs to Clappana in Kollam district. His Latin Catholic community comprises predominantly fishermen in Kerala.