The Congress on Thursday targeted the BJP-led government at the Centre over abduction of 40 Indians in strife-torn Iraq, asking it why they were not evacuated in time and sought to know its strategy ensuring their safe release
“Everybody knew the situation is getting out of control. Then why did the government not evacuate Indians from there? The Congress is concerned that the Indians were not evacuated in time,” party spokesperson Raj Babbar said.
He said the Narendra Modi government was still in election mode, coining new slogans like B2B (Bharat to Bhutan relations) and reiterating the old. “The government should come out and clearly explain the strategy it is adopting for the safe return of those kidnapped as well the nearly 18,000 other Indians there.”
Babbar said the government should attach “high importance” to the plight of Indians in Iraq. Deputy Leader of the Congress in Lok Sabha Capt. Amarinder Singh too expressed concern over the abduction of Indians and demanded the government urgently intervene to ensure the safety of Indians, besides return of all those stranded there, including those abducted by the insurgents.
The Congress also slammed Narendra Modi-government over the continuation of Nihalchand Meghwal, who has been summoned by a local court in Rajasthan in an alleged sexual assault case lodged in 2011, in the Union Council of Ministers.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The Minister concerned went and told the PM his side of the story. The PM believed him. But the victim is pleading for time to meet the PM to tell her side o the story. But he (Modi) has not found time to meet the woman,” he said.
Workers of Mahila Congress staged a protest outside the BJP headquarters, demanding immediate resignation from Meghwal. “His continuation in office shows the BJP’s dual face. When there are rape cases in UP, they demand President’s rule, but when crimes happen in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan, they keep quiet,” Mahila Congress president Shobha Oza said.