On August 23, 2001, her 19th birthday, Sonia and her husband Sanjeev murdered eight members of her family. She believed she was being cut off from the family property, said to be worth hundreds of crores of rupees.
Her father, Relu Ram Punia, was a former Haryana MLA. He was among those clubbed to death, along with Sonia’s sister, stepmother, stepbrother, his wife and their three children, the eldest aged four, the youngest a month old.
The trial court awarded death to the couple in 2004, the high court commuted it to life in 2005, and the Supreme Court upheld death in 2007.
In Tuesday’s ruling commuting the sentences to life, the Supreme Court cited the time Sonia and Sanjeev have spent in custody since their arrests in 2001 — 12 years 3 months until December — besides delays in disposal of their mercy petitions and the arrival of the information about the rejection of the petitions.
“…We hold that the delay in disposal of mercy petitions is undue and [this] is unexplained and one of the circumstances for commutation of death sentence to life imprisonment,” reads Tuesday’s order. “In addition, due to unbearable mental agony after confirmation of death sentence, petitioner No.1 attempted suicide.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The commutation will make the couple eligible for parole or furlough to meet their only child, now about 12, who is being looked after by the family of Sanjeev, 38. The two are lodged in Ambala central jail and meet each other once a fortnight.