In 2003, an email circulated among the few that had mail accounts, promising the reader that he/she would rejoice a once-in-a-lifetime celestial experience. The contents of the mail read that Mars would balloon into a big red dot in the sky — as big as the moon itself. This was branded as the twin-moon effect. It was debunked as a hoax, just like the many other imaginative hoaxes that homo sapiens dream in their sleep.
Had the twin-moon phenomenon been a human being, it would have turned 11 today. The mail, bizarrely, is still in circulation. It has resurfaced again, enticing its readers to lose sleep on August 27th midnight. It is like that kid who cried wolf.
The email claims that Mars will be 34.65 million miles from earth, but a space agency debunked its claims saying that on August 27th the red planet will be 125.28 million miles away. The agency rubbished the email claiming that “Mars will be very bright and like the moon everyone can see it with naked eyes” because it will set at midnight. And, moreover, there will not be a full moon on that day.
So amateur astronomers can stop dusting their telescopes; rest assured, earth can never be Tatooine (a planet with two suns) from the Star Wars galaxy.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016