A Whatsapp picture of a male student of a college near Mangalore lying across the laps of four of his uniformed female classmates in a college classroom, has raised the hackles of the moral police in Mangalore.
A group of self styled vigilantes abducted and assaulted a 20-year old male student of the college on Sunday after wrongly identifying him as the one who was posing in his college uniform across the laps of four of his female classmates.
The vigilantes abducted Mohammed Riyaz, a final year student of computer science, in Surathkal near Mangalore on Sunday after the amusing picture of the college students went viral via Whatsapp.
“After the photograph was circulated on social media sites, a vigilante group got other students from the college to identify the deviant youth and on learning that he was probably a Muslim, decided to attack him,” Assistant Commissioner of Police for the North Sub Division Ravi Kumar said.
Riyaz, whose parents have filed a complaint with the Surathkal police, has stated that he was explaining to two of his friends Vineeth and Rithesh that he was only a silent bystander in the naughty photographs when a group in a car approached them and abducted him.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to the complaint by Riyaz, the group repeatedly questioned his motive in posing with the girls and attacked him in the moving vehicle and forced him to consume alcohol. Despite his pleading that he was not the one one lying on the laps of the girls but the person seen merely sitting next to them, the group continued to attack him, Riyaz has stated.
The group alleged drove around with Riyaz for about five kilometres before dumping him on the road. An injured Riyaz then called his father and informed him about what had happened to him.
Riyaz’s father Abdur Rehman registered a complaint with the Surathkal police who filed a case of abduction and attempt to murder.
Police are yet to identify and arrest the suspects. Police also plan to question Riyaz’s friends Vineeth and Rithesh at whose instance he travelled to the spot where he was abducted by the vigilante group.
The Mangalore region is infamous for its moral policing with right wing saffron groups like the Bajrang Dal and Hindu Jagaran Vedike frequently attacking people for being in inter faith relationships.