A Whatsapp picture of a male student of a college near Mangalore lying across the laps of four of his uniformed female classmates in a college classroom, has raised the hackles of the moral police in Mangalore.
A group of self styled vigilantes abducted and assaulted a 20-year old male student of the college on Sunday after wrongly identifying him as the one who was posing in his college uniform across the laps of four of his female classmates.
The vigilantes abducted Mohammed Riyaz, a final year student of computer science, in Surathkal near Mangalore on Sunday after the amusing picture of the college students went viral via Whatsapp.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“After the photograph was circulated on social media sites, a vigilante group got other students from the college to identify the deviant youth and on learning that he was probably a Muslim, decided to attack him,” Assistant Commissioner of Police for the North Sub Division Ravi Kumar said.
Riyaz, whose parents have filed a complaint with the Surathkal police, has stated that he was explaining to two of his friends Vineeth and Rithesh that he was only a silent bystander in the naughty photographs when a group in a car approached them and abducted him.
According to the complaint by Riyaz, the group repeatedly questioned his motive in posing with the girls and attacked him in the moving vehicle and forced him to consume alcohol. Despite his pleading that he was not the one one lying on the laps of the girls but the person seen merely sitting next to them, the group continued to attack him, Riyaz has stated.
The group alleged drove around with Riyaz for about five kilometres before dumping him on the road. An injured Riyaz then called his father and informed him about what had happened to him.
Riyaz’s father Abdur Rehman registered a complaint with the Surathkal police who filed a case of abduction and attempt to murder.
Police are yet to identify and arrest the suspects. Police also plan to question Riyaz’s friends Vineeth and Rithesh at whose instance he travelled to the spot where he was abducted by the vigilante group.
The Mangalore region is infamous for its moral policing with right wing saffron groups like the Bajrang Dal and Hindu Jagaran Vedike frequently attacking people for being in inter faith relationships.