The naked body of a girl, who tried to save her father from being beaten by locals for failing to pay for a rented tractor at a village meeting, has
been found lying on railway tracks at Dhupguri in Jalpaiguri district.
After identifying the body, her father lodged an FIR against 13 persons at Dhupguri Police Station on Tuesday for “rape, murder and kidnapping” of his daughter, the police said.
Jalpaiguri superintendent of police Kunal Agarwal and Additional superintendent of police James Kujur rushed to the spot last night.
Two persons have been detained in this connection and the body has been sent for postmortem, Kujur said.
Trouble began at the ‘Salishi Sabha’ (reconciliation meeting) convened at Dhupguri on Monday night when the farmer’s request for some more time to make the payment was turned down, the police said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The local Trinamool Congress councillor of ward no 9 and her husband were present at the meeting, the police said.
The girl came out of her house pleading with the locals not to beat her father. A person known to her took her away from the meeting and she was missing since then, the police said.
The councillor was not available for comment.
Student and youth wings of the CPI(M), SFI and DYFI, are observing a students strike and ‘Black Day’ in Dhupguri block on Wednesday demanding punishment for the culprits. They also put up road blockades on NH 31 on Wednesday.
BJP activists staged a demonstration in front of Dhupguri Police Station on Tuesday, police said.
District Trinamool Congress president Sourav Chakrabarty said the police were investigating and there was no need to give “political colour” to it.