West Bengal government today decided to appeal before a division bench of Calcutta High Court challenging a single bench order that directed registration of an FIR against Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal for his controversial comments against women and a CID probe into it. “A decision has been taken to file an appeal,” state Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said.
Pal, an actor-turned-MP, is also going to file an appeal against the order. “We will also go for an appeal,” Pal’s counsel Rajdeep Majumdar said. The appeals are likely to be filed and moved before a division bench tomorrow as Justice Dipankar Dutta had in his order yesterday directed that the FIR be lodged within 72 hours of the order being uploaded on the court’s website.
Justice Dutta, passing his verdict on a petition seeking CID investigation into Pal’s comments against women and other opposition party supporters at election rallies, had also made caustic observations about the state’s law and order situation and the role of police. He had directed that the high court would monitor the probe in view of West Bengal government’s stand that the complaint did not disclose any cognisable offence and that the state tried to back the MP.
Justice Dutta in his order on Monday directed Inspector in-charge of Nakashipara police station in Nadia district to treat the July one complaint by petitioner Biplab Chowdhury, a resident of Pal’s constituency Krishnagar in Nadia district, as an FIR. The court also directed the state DGP to transfer the case to the DIG, CID, within 72 hours of the order being uploaded in the high court’s website.
Justice Dutta directed the CID authorities to file a status report on progress of investigation on September one. Pal had in an open letter tendered unconditional apology to the media and the public at-large for his unsavoury comments.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016