Orissa Thursday heaved a sigh of relief as the floodwaters expected to course through the Mahanadi river delta came down to a manageable level. However, the situation continued to remain grim with the death toll reaching 35. Most of the victims were either swept away or drowned.
As many as 1.78 million people in 3,990 villages in 23 districts have been affected by the floods so far, special relief commissioner P K Mohapatra said. “Though river Mahanadi is flowing above danger mark at several places, there is no threat of substantial damage as the water flow into Hirakud reservoir has reduced. It is a matter of relief that fear of a major high flood has been averted. Volume of water flowing down Mahanadi at Munduli stood at around 11 lakh cusec as against over 12 lakh cusec anticipated earlier,” Mohapatra said.
Many parts of Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Khurda and Puri districts were hit by floods in Mahanadi, even as the situation in Jajpur and Bhadrak districts continued to be grave due to submergence of vast areas by floods in Baitarani, though the water level in the river is slowly falling.
By Thursday evening, water level in Mahanadi and its tributaries had come down, but 830 villages still continued to be marooned. A total of 11 National Disaster Response Force and 30 Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force teams and 184 boats have been deployed for rescue and relief operations, with the state government asking the Centre to keep helicopters on standby.
About 70,000 people have been evacuated so far. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who made an aerial visit to the flood-affected areas, announced that the affected people would get food relief for the next seven days.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More