Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday hailed Russia as a “time-tested and reliable friend” and said he intends to take the relationship to a higher level.
He gave this message to visiting Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitri Rogozin who met him here to convey President Vladimir Putin`s greetings and his desire to work with him to further strengthen and deepen the “special and privileged strategic partnership” between the two countries.
Modi told Rogozin that he looks forward to “a productive, substantive and forward-looking” Summit with Putin later this year.
During the meeting, Modi described Russia as a “time- tested and reliable friend” which had stood with India in difficult times, a PMO statement said.
He also noted that Russia is a major partner in building India’s defence capabilities, for which that the country enjoys enormous goodwill in India, it said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Prime Minister expressed his intention to take the relationship to a higher level, the statement said.
Modi recalled his visit on June 14 to aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, a refitted version of Admiral Gorshkov which was sold to India, and thanked Russia for its contribution to the realisation of a major milestone in India`s naval capabilities.
Modi dedicated to the nation INS Vikramaditya when he visited it in the Arabian Sea.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh, Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister Nripendra Misra, and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval were present during the meeting with the Russian leader.