Despite reservations of the Muslim community, Congress is going ahead with its Madhya Pradesh Bandh on Wednesday seeking resignation of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan over the Vyapam scam.
“We are not forcing anyone to take part in the bandh. Businessmen and people who want to participate in it are welcome. We are appealing for a peaceful bandh since day one,” AICC general secretary and party’s state in-charge Mohan Prakash told reporters.
On reservations of the Muslim community over the bandh as it is going to affect their preparations of Eid, he said, “No Muslim leader has approached us complaining that the bandh was affecting their preparations of Eid.”
- Batman Day: 15 things you might not know about the Caped Crusader and his universe
- Reliance Jio to deliver 6 million JioPhones in 15 days starting tomorrow
- Globalisation is here to stay, we proved sceptics wrong: Manmohan Singh
- Meet Frida the Labrador who has been saving lives in disasters across the world
- North Korea 'more opaque' after YouTube propaganda ban: monitors
- England vs West Indies 3rd ODI Live Online Streaming: When is England vs West Indies 3rd ODI, where is ENG vs WI ODI, live TV coverage
A leader close to the lone Muslim Congress MLA from North Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, Arif Aqueel, said he was upset with the bandh as it will affect his Muslim dominated constituency.
“Please ask the state Congress chief Arun Yadav what they stand to achieve with the bandh ?” Aqueel told PTI when contacted for comment.
“Congress should have organised the bandh after Eid. At this crucial time we make purchases for Eid celebration,” a senior Sunni Muslim journalist said.
He said the shutdown was just a day ahead of Bohra community Eid on July 17. Our Eid too is falling on July 18 or July 19, he added.
Meanwhile, some businessmen have put up posters against tomorrow’s bandh at some places in the busy Chowk Bazaar area here which is inhabited by Muslims who are doing brisk shopping for Eid.