The Visva Bharati University authority is looking into a complaint by a girl student of Kala Bhavan that she was “sexually harassed” by three students of the same department.
“We have received a complaint through the principal of Kala Bhavan. We have summoned a meeting immediately and have already started our proceedings to probe the complaint,” Mousumi Bhattacharya, Chairperson of the Internal Complaint Committee Against Sexual Harassment, said.
“We have talked to the girl and her father. We shall complete the investigation and submit report to the concerned authority as early as possible,” she said late last night.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Today, the girl and her father were first taken to the Vice-Chancellor Susanta Datta Gupta’s office where they spent close to two hours and then taken to another building for discussion.
It was not immediately known what transpired at the discussion. After the discussion, the girl and her father were taken to Bolpur railway station in a university car from where they left for Kolkata by the Saraighat Express.
An official of Visva Bharati said, “In her letter to the university authority the girl, a second year student of Kala Bhavan who hailed from Sikkim, had alleged that she was sexually harassed by three students.”
She also alleged that they have recorded some obscene pictures with their mobile phones and threatened to blackmail with those.
On Thursday, the father of the girl came to Santiniketan. He met the university authority and demanded immediate action against those students.
He said yesterday, “The boys misbehaved with my daughter and she was threatened that she would be blackmailed with some pictures which they had taken with a mobile phone.”
This morning the father took away his daughter from the hostel and said, “I shall take her to Kolkata for the time being and take the final decision after some days.”
Meanwhile, the State Women’s Commission Chairperson, Sunanda Goswami, took suo-motu cognizance of the matter and said she would write to the Prime Minister about it.
“We have taken suo-motu cognizance of the incident and have asked the complaints committee of the university to submit a report by Monday,” Goswami said.
“I will also write to Prime Minister Narendra Modi informing him of this incident and several other incidents which are happening here,” Goswami told PTI.