The district administration has requested the state government for Intelligence inputs and additional security forces in view of the sensitive nature of this VVIP parliamentary constituency.
“Since Varanasi is a sensitive area, we have requested the state government to share Intelligence inputs during the elections. It is not only a sacred religious centre for Hindus, but also for Buddhists. Sarnath also falls in Varansai and so does Jain shrines. We don’t want to take any kind of risk,” District Magistrate Pranjal Yadav, who is also the Electoral Officer here, told PTI.
The city also has a considerable Muslim population.
Currently, the district only has one Intelligence officer of a Deputy Superintendent rank in the state police. However, there is one IB office headed by a DIG rank officer here.
With high-profile leaders like Narendra Modi and Arvind Kejriwal in the fray, security has become a major concern for authorities here. Incidentally, Uttar Pradesh Police nabbed two suspected Indian Mujahideen members possibly planning to strike at Modi’s rallies.
“We have would need extra personnel for the elections. According to norms, one assembly segment gets five companies of Provincial Armed Constabulary or central forces. We have eight assembly segments. However, we would require more personnel during the elections. We have also demanded for door frame metal detectors from the state government and other security apparatus,” Yadav said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched