The activists of Bajrang Dal and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Friday threw rotten tomatoes at couples celebrating Valentine’s Day on the banks of Sabarmati river in Ahmedabad.
Couples were seen running to save themselves when a large group of Bajrang Dal workers suddenly thronged the place and started throwing tomatoes at them. Some of them tried to escape in their vehicles while others ran for cover.
No complaint has been lodged with the police so far in connection with the incident.
Hundreds of couples were present at the Sabarmati riverfront this morning to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
VHP and Bajrang Dal organised programmes in the city to protest “indecent” celebration of the day.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Bajrang Dal city president Jwalit Mehta, who led the charge said that they had been going to colleges in various parts of the city over the last few days to educate students about the negative influences of imbibing western traditions and aspects of their culture.
“Many students supported our endeavour. But, there were many students and others who thronged the riverfront today. We threw rotten tomatoes at them and they ran away from there,” Mehta said.
“There is nothing wrong in imbibing positive aspects of western culture, but VHP and Bajrang Dal are against obscenity in the name of westernisation. Valentine’s Day is one such obscene celebration,” he said.
Later, the activists burnt Valentine’s Day cards on the same venue.