Former Army Chief V K Singh Wednesday failed to appear before a Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council panel for a second time in connection with the privilege motion against him, even as the Assembly rejected his plea for quashing it and referred it to the privileges committee of the lower House.
There was also a face-off between ruling National Conference (NC) and Congress members over legality of the privileges committee of the Legislative Council with NC members staging a walkout.
They demanded action against Gen Singh for non-appearance.
“The Chairman of the privileges committee, Jugal Kishore Sharma, preferred to refer the matter to the Chairman of the Legislative Council for clarification about the legality of the Committee… During proceedings of the Committee, Ravinder Sharma (Congress) termed constitution of the Committee illegal because he said it is supposed to have five members and not six,” member of the privileges committee Devender Singh Rana told reporters here.
Rana, an NC MLC and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s confidant, said, “We sought the opinion of the Law Secretary”.
“But the Committee Chairman preferred to refer the matter to the Chairman of Council,” he said.
“I and my colleagues Dar Sahib and Showkat walked out of the meeting. We sought non-bailable warrant for Gen V K Singh to present him before the House,” Rana said.
Taking a dig at the Congress, he said, “The Committee was in operation for last over one year. Why has Ravinder Sharma (Congress) suddenly found it illegal? We will discuss the matter in the Party (NC) and chalk out further course of action.”
The row was over an interview in which the former Army Chief alleged that the Army had paid political leaders in the state.
The Assembly rejected Gen Singh’s plea for quashing the breach of privilege motion stating he was misquoted. It referred the matter to the privileges committee.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen