An unidentified youth allegedly tried to molest a girl student at a school hostel in Uttar Pradesh’s Balrampur district, sparking protest by inmates who claimed that they were being sexually exploited by outsiders in connivance with the staff.
“On the complaint of the inmates, hostel in-charge Shiv Charan and warden Monica have been removed,” Additional District Magistrate (ADM) Keshavdas said on Saturday.
- Harassed, 16-year-old girl commits suicide in Uttar Pradesh
- Odisha: Four minor students held on charge of murder attempt
- Three sadhvis allegedly gangraped in Nawada ashram
- Anonymous letter claims girls at Modern College hostel harassed by rector; institute calls it attempt to malign its reputation
- Uttar Pradesh: Two Army jawans arrested for misbehaving with girl on train
- UP Govt issues blanket ban on college ragging
An FIR has been registered and the inquiry handed over to Sub-divisional magistrate and circle officer, the ADM said, adding that stern action would be taken against those found guilty.
The incident took place late Friday night at the hostel of a school run in the traditional “Ashram system” in Dehat area, police said.
They said the girl raised an alarm after the accused attempted to molest her. Hearing her cries, other students came to the spot and tried to overpower him. During the scuffle, two other inmates were injured, police said, adding the accused managed to escape.
Following the incident, the girls staged a protest at the hostel gates. The girls alleged that the inmates were being sexually exploited by outsiders in connivance with the hostel staff, they said said.
The students also demanded that they be sent back home, they added.