In an indication of the poor performance of one of its key flagship schemes, the Congress-led UPA government did not meet the targets under its rural housing scheme for three consecutive years since 2011-12, with the percentage of achieved targets falling each year.
According to data made available by the Rural Development Ministry as answer to a parliamentary question, only 64 per cent of the total Indira Awas Yojana (IAY) targets were met in 2013-14. Of the over 24 lakh target allocated to the scheme, around 16 lakh houses were actually constructed. This figure was lower than that in 2012-13, during which 72 per cent of the targets were met. In 2011-12, however, the figure was more respectable at 90 per cent.
IAY provides financial assistance to rural BPL households for construction of houses. The funding is shared between the Centre and state in a 75:25 ratio, except in certain circumstances. Under the scheme, a unit assistance of Rs 70,000 is provided for construction of new houses in plains and Rs 75,000 in hilly/difficult areas.
In the current financial year, a target of 25 lakh houses has been set of which 25,000 houses have been constructed in first four months. However, as many as 11 states are yet to open their account with no houses having been constructed so far this year.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More