Senior IPS officer Amitabh Thakur, who made public a purported audio recording of Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav threatening him over the phone, approached the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Monday and sought protection for his wife, Nutan Thakur, and himself.
He also urged the MHA to recommend a CBI probe into the “false’’ rape case filed against him after he lodged a complaint against Mulayam in Lucknow on July 10 for allegedly threatening him. Thakur said he would approach the Allahabad High Court if his demands were not met.
Thakur, an IG-rank officer, met Additional Secretary in the MHA, Anant Kumar Singh, at the latter’s office in North Block on Monday afternoon. Thakur was accompanied by his wife Nutan, a social activist. Thakur said he wanted to meet Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh but the latter was was in Goa. He said the Additional Secretary had assured him that the matter would be looked into.
- IPS officer vs Mulayam: ‘Suspension wrong, Thakur should be reinstated, Centre tells court, UP govt
- Muayam vs IPS office: Police lodge FIR against SP chief, Thakur says not given its copy
- Lucknow court orders filing of FIR against Mulayam Singh
- Complainant used as puppet by minister: Amitabh Thakur on rape accusation
- UP cop Amitabh Thakur seeks CBI probe into rape charges against him
- IPS officer says rape case ‘return gift’ from Mulayam Singh Yadav
“Mulayam threatened me with dire consequences. So today I have met the Additional Secretary and sought central force security for us,” he told mediapersons after the meeting at North Block. “I want a CBI investigation into the rape charge against me,” he said.
A case against Thakur was filed on July 11 at Gomti Nagar police station in Lucknow under IPC sections of rape, intentional insult and criminal intimidation. Nutan has been named a co-accused in the case. The FIR was registered on the basis of an earlier complaint by a woman from Ghaziabad. “This is nothing but political conspiracy and harassment against me,” he said. “No wife will help her husband to rape a woman… Let the CBI probe the allegation,” he said. Thakur alleged that Mulayam had threatened him after Nutan filed a complaint before the UP Lokayukta against state Mines Minister Gayatri Prajapati.