The Uttar Pradesh government in a report submitted to the Union Home Ministry has blamed “unauthorised construction” as one of the prime reasons for the communal flare-up in Saharanpur on Saturday, sources said.
They said the preliminary report did not go into details and the UP government has assured the Centre that the situation was under control.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who earlier spoke to UP CM Akhilesh Yadav over the riot situation, convened a meeting with ministry officials Monday. The meeting was also attended by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval.
“Situation is under control in Saharanpur now. We have received a report from the UP government. We are keeping an eye on the situation,” said Singh. The Home Ministry has already sent 600 paramilitary personnel to assist the state administration in maintaining law and order situation.
“The minister telephoned the UP CM (on Saturday) and spoke to him for five-seven minutes. He was quite upset with the entire situation and told the UP CM that the incident should not have taken place at all since Eid was close. He ensured all help and asked him that the tension does not spread elsewhere,” said a senior official. Three persons were killed in the violence.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“It is a basic report and the UP government has primarily blamed the unauthorised construction on a disputed land for the spread of communal violence in Saharanpur. Lot of rumour mongering also added to the tension and it took a violent turn,” said another official.