A Boeing 777 aircraft of American carrier United Airlines was grounded at Mumbai airport Thursday night after engineers found its right engine cover to be damaged.
The aircraft is the first US plane that has been acted upon after India’s aviation safety mechanism was downgraded last month.
The carrier has dispatched a team of engineers from the US to fix the problem, officials said.
The aircraft, operating flight UA-48 from Newark to Mumbai, arrived at 10 pm Thursday when Indian engineers found “major damage” to the cowl (cover of the aircraft engine) on the right side of the plane. DGCA officials, who inspected the plane, suspected the damage was caused during take-off. It was found after the plane was being readied for its return flight, officials said.
The grounding comes weeks after the the US Federal Aviation Administration downgraded the safety ranking of its Indian counterpart, the DGCA.
The FAA move means the domestic aviation regulator does not meet global safety standards laid down by the International Civil Aviation Organisation in areas concerning adequate manpower for inspection and safety checks of aircraft.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched