Sunanda Pushkar’s brother Rajesh, a serving Colonel in Indian Army, on Saturday came out in strong defence of Union minister Shashi Tharoor saying it was “unimaginable” that he could harm Sunanda and sought end to the rumours that were hurting the family.
In a statement, Rajesh said Sunanda was one of the strongest personalities and to even remotely think that she would do any bodily harm to herself is “preposterous” and “should not be believed”.
He also sought speedy investigation into the case “to put an end to the rumours that are hurting” the family. The probe
into the high-profile case was transferred to the Crime Branch on Thursday considering its “sensitive nature” and “complexities” involved.
“I have been with both Shashi and my sister throughout their journey together and can say with utmost confidence that they were a couple madly in love with each other. Differences, if any, were momentary and do happen in every household, and we do not believe that they have any bearing on the incident,” he said.
This was the second statement issued by a family member of Sunanda.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Earlier this week, Sunanda’s 21-year-old son from a previous marriage, Shiv Menon, had released a statement to the media saying his mother was “too strong” to commit suicide and she died due to an “unfortunate combination of media stress, tensions and a wrong mix of different medication”.
He asserted that he did not believe that there was a foul play in his mother’s death, saying both Tharoor and his mother were “very much in love” despite their “occasional differences” and that he did not believe the Union minister was capable of harming her physically.
On Tuesday, a sub-divisional magistrate, who probed the case, had directed Delhi Police to investigate the murder or suicide angles in the case while concluding that “poisoning” was the cause of her death.
The autopsy report had mentioned more than a dozen injury marks on Sunanda’s body besides a “deep teeth bite” on the edge of her left palm.
The Crime Branch team probing the case has decided to go for advanced forensic tests to determine cause of injuries on her body.
The autopsy report had mentioned use of blunt force for the injury marks on both her hands and left cheek.
Rejecting speculation in the media about Sunanda’s death, he said both he and his father were “deeply disturbed” at the “slanderous statements” that have been made in the media regarding her death.
“I have known my sister to be an angel at heart but to often impulsively say things she did not mean and withdraw them later.”
Sunanda, 52, was found dead in a 5-star hotel in South Delhi on January 17 night, a day after her Twitter spat with Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar over an alleged affair with Tharoor.
“My sister was one of the strongest personalities and to even remotely think that she would do any bodily harm to herself is preposterous and should not be believed. Also to think that my brother-in-law would do any harm to her is unimaginable,” he said.
He requested that the matter be put to rest so that peace can be bestowed on the departed soul.