A probe was ordered on Sunday into the death of a 35-year-old undertrial in Jaunpur district jail who died after being allegedly assaulted by prison guards on Saturday. Shyam Kumar Yadav’s death had triggered a violent clash between prisoners and prison guards on Saturday night,
Shyam had allegedly attempted sexual assault on a female warder, prompting the guards to attack him.
- Undertrial attacked by three inmates inside Yerawada jail
- ‘Ego clash’, not systemic failure led to Shetye’s death, says report
- Two prisoners flee from Phagwara jail, staff among 6 booked
- Jail staff have no authority to beat up an inmate in any manner, for any reason: Mumbai court on Manjula Shetye death
- Byculla inmate custodial death: Inquiry finds no criminality in Swati Sathe’s WhatsApp posts
- Byculla inmate custodial death: Inmates cooked up story of assault, accused tell court
Jaunpur District Magistrate Bhanu Chandra Goswami said magisterial and judicial inquiry has been ordered into the inmate’s death. UP prison headquarters has also ordered a departmental inquiry.
When news about Shyam’s death spread, the inmates clashed with the guards and police had to be called in.
Several inmates and at least five police officers were left injured in the clash. While no one sustained serious injuries, police said they had to use tear gas and rubber bullets to take control.
On Sunday, two FIRs were registered at Line Bazaar police station. Brother of the deceased, Samudra Yadav, lodged an FIR of murder and conspiracy charges against the jail staff, including the Superintendent, jailor, deputy jailor and warders. No one has been arrested so far. An undertrial Santosh Yadav too has alleged in a complaint that the Shyam was dragged out of his barrack and brutally thrashed.
In another FIR, the woman warder whom Yadav allegedly tried to sexually assault has levelled charges of assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty and voluntarily causing hurt.