After spending nearly two months in captivity in the jungles of eastern Bangladesh, two Mizo men abducted by ‘militants’ last November were released on Tuesday.
A third captive, Deep Mandal, an employee of Noida-based Telecom Network Solutions who was working on contract for Airtel, remains in the hands of the abductors. The abductors allegedly consist of members from the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) and the Bru Democratic Front of Mizoram (BDFM). They have demanded a ransom of Rs 5 crore for Mandal’s release.
The men who were released — Sanglianthanga and Lalzamliana — were handed over to the Mizoram Police’s CID (Special Branch) near Silsury town in Mamit district just before noon Tuesday. The release appears to have eased tensions between the Mizos and the Brus — a small tribe whose members are spread over Mizoram, Tripura and parts of southern Assam.
After the release, Mizo groups called off a week-long voluntary search operation that they had planned. Scrores of Bru families from three villages had, last week, defied their leaders’ appeals to avoid panic and fled to Tripura as students’ association Mizo Zirlai Pawl called for the voluntary search operation to find the abducted men. Their plan was stopped by the police, and most of the Brus who fled have since returned.
This week, worried by the Young Mizo Association’s call for a second operation, some Bru families again attempted to flee to Tripura. The search operation was again thwarted by the Tripura police, according to a senior Bru leader.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016