- Is BJP losing the plot in Delhi?
- Kiran Bedi win: RSS says it’s kabaddi, hold breath
- Veteran’s work vs son-in-law’s youth
- Dense and dingy, yet women feel ‘safer’ in colony than outside
- ‘Always a third front man, so I joined Congress’
- AAP to send star campaigners to Sadar Bazaar, Krishna Nagar
- Senior BJP leader trying to put AAP in negative light: Arvind Kejriwal
Two killed in explosion ahead of polls in Birbhum district
Two persons were killed when a bomb they were making exploded at Kusumberia village in Birbhum district today.
The explosion was so powerful that it blew away a part of the thatched house, belonging to Ismail Sheikh, in which the two, along with others, were making the explosive, Birbhum SP Rashid Munir Khan said.
Residents of the village claimed that Sheikh was a local Trinamool Congress leader, which was, however, denied by the district TMC leaders.
The two killed have been identified as Seikh Hasan and Seikh Barjahan.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta said in Kolkata that Barjahan was the resident of Dwaraka village in the same district.
Ananda Roy, additional SP, Birbhum and Surya Prasad Yadav, SDPO, Bolpur went to the village with a huge police force and seized the bodies.
A forensic team has also landed at the village to assess the exact nature of the explosion.
A combing operation has been started to arrest other persons.