Two BSF personnel were killed while four others injured when militants opened fired at their vehicle just outside the Awantipora IAF airfield in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday.
Officials said a squad of Border Security Force (BSF) personnel was changing guard at the airfield in Pulwama, 33 kms from here, on Saturday afternoon when a group of militants opened fire at them from automatic weapons.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The BSF is deployed for securing the Indian Air Force airfield and the squad that came under militant attack belongs to the ‘G’ company of BSF’s 165th battalion.
“The militants opened fire at the BSF squad that was in a military gypsy. Two personnel were killed and four have been injured in the firing,” a senior official said.
Immediately after the firing, the other BSF personnel present on the spot retaliated but the militants fled.
A reinforcement contingent of the Rashtriya Rifles and the BSF has reached the area for search and sanitisation task, they said.
The injured have been shifted to an Army base hospital in the vicinity of the airfield located, they said.