Two BSF personnel were killed while four others injured when militants opened fired at their vehicle just outside the Awantipora IAF airfield in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday.
Officials said a squad of Border Security Force (BSF) personnel was changing guard at the airfield in Pulwama, 33 kms from here, on Saturday afternoon when a group of militants opened fire at them from automatic weapons.
The BSF is deployed for securing the Indian Air Force airfield and the squad that came under militant attack belongs to the ‘G’ company of BSF’s 165th battalion.
“The militants opened fire at the BSF squad that was in a military gypsy. Two personnel were killed and four have been injured in the firing,” a senior official said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Immediately after the firing, the other BSF personnel present on the spot retaliated but the militants fled.
A reinforcement contingent of the Rashtriya Rifles and the BSF has reached the area for search and sanitisation task, they said.
The injured have been shifted to an Army base hospital in the vicinity of the airfield located, they said.