Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has allocated Rs 200 crore for the Sardar Patel statue project in Gujarat. The proposed project is a colossal iron-and-bronze statue almost twice the size of the Statue of Liberty.
The proposed budget for a 182-meter (nearly 600 feet)-tall replica of Indian independence leader Vallabhbhai Patel caused an outcry, with many people saying the country has far more urgent priorities.
Others lamented how the budget earmarks more money for the Patel statue than for women’s safety nationwide, which got 1.5 billion rupees ($25 million), or the education of young girls at 1 billion rupees ($16.5 million).
It was the first budget of a new government elected on promises to revive stalled economic growth.
Here is how twitterati reacted to the budget allocation for the Patel statue.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The decision to build a statue for Sardar Patel was a political decision of Modi before elections. Not because of some love of art.
— Dhaakad Tau (@Bawli_Booch) July 10, 2014
Indian right has some nerve calling Patel statue art after they terrorized a true artist like Hussain & forced him into heartbreaking exile.
— Sonia Faleiro (@soniafaleiro) July 10, 2014
100 crore for girl child education. 200 for Sardar Patel statue. #ChaloKoini
— Satbir Singh (@thesatbir) July 10, 2014
— Tusha Mittal (@tushamittal) July 10, 2014
To be honest, can’t wait for Modi’s selfie on Sardar Patel’s statue.
— Dorkstar (@Dorkstar) July 10, 2014
Dude: 200 cr. for Sardar Patel Statue, 500 cr. for rural power? #Budget2014
— Deepak Shenoy (@deepakshenoy) July 10, 2014
— Devirupa Mitra (@DevirupaM) July 10, 2014
With agency inputs