Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has allocated Rs 200 crore for the Sardar Patel statue project in Gujarat. The proposed project is a colossal iron-and-bronze statue almost twice the size of the Statue of Liberty.
The proposed budget for a 182-meter (nearly 600 feet)-tall replica of Indian independence leader Vallabhbhai Patel caused an outcry, with many people saying the country has far more urgent priorities.
Others lamented how the budget earmarks more money for the Patel statue than for women’s safety nationwide, which got 1.5 billion rupees ($25 million), or the education of young girls at 1 billion rupees ($16.5 million).
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
It was the first budget of a new government elected on promises to revive stalled economic growth.
Here is how twitterati reacted to the budget allocation for the Patel statue.
The decision to build a statue for Sardar Patel was a political decision of Modi before elections. Not because of some love of art.
— Dhaakad Tau (@Bawli_Booch) July 10, 2014
Indian right has some nerve calling Patel statue art after they terrorized a true artist like Hussain & forced him into heartbreaking exile.
— Sonia Faleiro (@soniafaleiro) July 10, 2014
100 crore for girl child education. 200 for Sardar Patel statue. #ChaloKoini
— Satbir Singh (@thesatbir) July 10, 2014
— Tusha Mittal (@tushamittal) July 10, 2014
To be honest, can’t wait for Modi’s selfie on Sardar Patel’s statue.
— Dorkstar (@Dorkstar) July 10, 2014
Dude: 200 cr. for Sardar Patel Statue, 500 cr. for rural power? #Budget2014
— Deepak Shenoy (@deepakshenoy) July 10, 2014
— Devirupa Mitra (@DevirupaM) July 10, 2014
With agency inputs