In what is being seen as a initiative to cut the acrimony between Minister of State V K Singh and the Army that he used to lead, serving Army Chief General Bikram Singh reached out to his predecessor Friday, meeting him in the Ministry for Development of Northeast Region to discuss “matters of mutual interest.”
The meeting, which lasted almost half an hour, took place after the recent unpleasantness over VK SIngh’s controversial remarks against top officer Lt Gen Dalbir Singh who is set to take over as the next Army Chief in the end of July.
Sources close to Gen Bikram Singh said that the officer called upon the minister as a matter of courtesy and to discuss the development of the N-E region where the Army has significant presence. Gen Bikram Singh also offered Army assistance to implement development projects in the states.
Sources said the meeting was the personal initiative of the Army chief who wished to greet his predecessor and pass on his best wishes for his new innings as a Central minister in the government.
Incidentally, Gen Bikram Singh also met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the morning to give him a war room briefing on the operational preparedness of the Army. However, officials said that it has no connection to the meeting with V K Singh, insisting that it was a “personal initiative” of the chief. “Gen Bikram Singh has met several ministers over the past few days, including External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj,” said a senior Army officer.
Days ago, V K Singh’s comments accusing Lt Gen Dalbir Singh of protecting troops who in his words committed dacoity and killed innocents, came after The Indian Express reported that the BJP government, in its affidavit to the Supreme Court, had called V K Singh’s action as the Army Chief against Dalbir Singh in 2012 “illegal” and “premeditated.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Sources said neither touched upon internal matters of the Army related to succession and postings.
As reported, following V K Singh’s tweet against the Army chief-designate, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley made it clear in Parliament that the government’s appointment of Lt Gen Dalbir Singh as the next chief is final and that it “fully stands for it.” This came amid calls for V K Singh’s resignation by the Congress.