Cine actress and TRS MP M Vijayashanthi on Thursday joined Congress at a time when the possibility of TRS merging with Congress seemed to have hit a roadblock.
Vijayashanthi, who is not on the best of terms with TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, today met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi after which the decision of her joining the party was announced.
AICC general secretary in-charge for Andhra Pradesh Digvijay Singh, who accompanied the MP, told reporters that Vijaya Shanthi, the Lok Sabha MP from Medak, Andhra Pradesh, had taken the “blessings” of Gandhi.
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
Her joining Congress came within a week of parliament passing the bill for creation of separate Telangana state, the main demand of TRS founder K Chandrasekhar Rao. Rao and Vijaya Shanthi were the only members of the party in the outgoing Lok Sabha.
“I am very happy to inform you that Vijaya Shanthi, the first actress to raise the issue of Telangana and a consistent fighter for it has decided to join Congress. She has taken the blessings of Sonia Gandhi,” Singh told reporters outside 10 Janpath, the residence of the Congress President.
According to Singh, Vijaya Shanthi had said that her fight was for Telangana and after it is achieved, she would join Congress.
Shanthi also talked to reporters in Telugu after the meeting disapproving of the unwillingness of the TRS chief to merge his party with Congress.
Shanthi has good rapport with the Congress President and her joining the party is being seen as Congress’ attempt to build pressure for merger of TRS.
The merger plan appeared to have suffered a setback yesterday amid conflicting versions on the issue from both the parties.
While Congress claimed the TRS chief has expressed readiness to merge his party with it, TRS said no such assurance has been given.