Cine actress and TRS MP M Vijayashanthi on Thursday joined Congress at a time when the possibility of TRS merging with Congress seemed to have hit a roadblock.
Vijayashanthi, who is not on the best of terms with TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, today met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi after which the decision of her joining the party was announced.
AICC general secretary in-charge for Andhra Pradesh Digvijay Singh, who accompanied the MP, told reporters that Vijaya Shanthi, the Lok Sabha MP from Medak, Andhra Pradesh, had taken the “blessings” of Gandhi.
Her joining Congress came within a week of parliament passing the bill for creation of separate Telangana state, the main demand of TRS founder K Chandrasekhar Rao. Rao and Vijaya Shanthi were the only members of the party in the outgoing Lok Sabha.
“I am very happy to inform you that Vijaya Shanthi, the first actress to raise the issue of Telangana and a consistent fighter for it has decided to join Congress. She has taken the blessings of Sonia Gandhi,” Singh told reporters outside 10 Janpath, the residence of the Congress President.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to Singh, Vijaya Shanthi had said that her fight was for Telangana and after it is achieved, she would join Congress.
Shanthi also talked to reporters in Telugu after the meeting disapproving of the unwillingness of the TRS chief to merge his party with Congress.
Shanthi has good rapport with the Congress President and her joining the party is being seen as Congress’ attempt to build pressure for merger of TRS.
The merger plan appeared to have suffered a setback yesterday amid conflicting versions on the issue from both the parties.
While Congress claimed the TRS chief has expressed readiness to merge his party with it, TRS said no such assurance has been given.