Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade is under the scanner after the government, it is learnt, found that her two daughters had American passports as well as Indian diplomatic passports — a crime under Indian law as it amounts to dual citizenship.
The discovery has caused considerable disquiet as the government took unprecedented retaliatory measures against US diplomats after Khobragade was arrested on charges of visa fraud and allegedly mistreated in New York.
Government sources said getting US passports for her daughters indicated Khobragade kept her options open to benefit from the “best of both worlds”. Khobragade’s daughters, aged four and seven, are in New York with their father, an American citizen.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
When contacted, Khobragade, who is posted as director in the MEA’s Development Partnership Administration, refused to comment.
According to rules, a diplomat’s spouse is also expected to take up Indian citizenship. Although Khobragade’s husband has applied, the citizenship has not come through because of stringent home ministry rules which require the applicant to stay in India for a stipulated period.