Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade is under the scanner after the government, it is learnt, found that her two daughters had American passports as well as Indian diplomatic passports — a crime under Indian law as it amounts to dual citizenship.
The discovery has caused considerable disquiet as the government took unprecedented retaliatory measures against US diplomats after Khobragade was arrested on charges of visa fraud and allegedly mistreated in New York.
Government sources said getting US passports for her daughters indicated Khobragade kept her options open to benefit from the “best of both worlds”. Khobragade’s daughters, aged four and seven, are in New York with their father, an American citizen.
When contacted, Khobragade, who is posted as director in the MEA’s Development Partnership Administration, refused to comment.
According to rules, a diplomat’s spouse is also expected to take up Indian citizenship. Although Khobragade’s husband has applied, the citizenship has not come through because of stringent home ministry rules which require the applicant to stay in India for a stipulated period.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched