Too early to confirm terror link, says Rajnath; NSG team to visit Pune

A team of Bomb Data Centre of the National Security Guard would go to Pune later.

Written by Vijaita Singh | New Delhi | Published: July 11, 2014 2:19 am

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh Thursday said it was too early to either rule out or confirm whether the low-intensity blast in Pune was a terror attack.

Home Ministry officials said they were open to all possibilities and the Maharashtra administration had been asked to submit a formal report on the matter.

“All we know for now is that it was a low-intensity explosion. It is too early to either confirm or deny whether it was a terror attack or not. Home Secretary Anil Goswami has spoken to the DGP and he has asked him for a detailed report,” said Singh.
An MHA official said it could be a case of “mischief”. “There are possibilities that it was done only to catch attention with a mischievous intention. The picture would be clear once the investigations are complete,” he said.

A team of Bomb Data Centre of the National Security Guard would go to Pune later. “The NSG has not been roped in as of now as the Maharashtra Police have its own bomb squad. They would go there later to collect the forensic details,” said the official.

The explosions become significant as Pune has always been on the radar of the IM. In 2012, Pune was rocked by four coordinated low-intensity explosions which left one person injured.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results