Three militants were killed in a fierce gun battle with security forces at a Sopore village in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday. This is the third major encounter between the militants and security forces in the last seven days in Sopore — a militant and separatist stronghold in north Kashmir.
“Three militants have been killed so far. The encounter is still on and the identification of the dead militants is under process,” Superintendent of Police (Sopore) Abdul Qayoom told The Indian Express on Monday evening.
A joint team of police and army cordoned off Dooru village, in the outskirts of Sopore town, in the afternoon after they reportedly received specific inputs about the presence of militants in the village. As the forces were zeroing in on the target house, the militants opened indiscriminate fire, said sources in the security forces.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Police sources said they had received information about the presence of three to four militants in the village and those killed in the encounter belong to the Lashkar-e-Toiba and are foreigners.
Sopore and its surrounding villages is a transit point for the militants who infiltrate into the valley from Kupwara frontier. Sources said in last few months, a good number of militants have managed to cross the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara. Three days ago, the police and army had launched an operation against the militants in the forests of Marbal in Sopore — just a few kilometres away from Dooru. One militant was killed in the operation, which is still going on. On January 7, a policeman was killed and three others were injured in a fierce gun battle at Chankhan neighbourhood of Sopore when police and army cordoned off the area after specific information about the presence of militants. The militant, believed to be a top Lashkar commander, however had managed to escape.