Three militants were killed in a fierce gun battle with security forces at a Sopore village in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday. This is the third major encounter between the militants and security forces in the last seven days in Sopore — a militant and separatist stronghold in north Kashmir.
“Three militants have been killed so far. The encounter is still on and the identification of the dead militants is under process,” Superintendent of Police (Sopore) Abdul Qayoom told The Indian Express on Monday evening.
A joint team of police and army cordoned off Dooru village, in the outskirts of Sopore town, in the afternoon after they reportedly received specific inputs about the presence of militants in the village. As the forces were zeroing in on the target house, the militants opened indiscriminate fire, said sources in the security forces.
Police sources said they had received information about the presence of three to four militants in the village and those killed in the encounter belong to the Lashkar-e-Toiba and are foreigners.
Sopore and its surrounding villages is a transit point for the militants who infiltrate into the valley from Kupwara frontier. Sources said in last few months, a good number of militants have managed to cross the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara. Three days ago, the police and army had launched an operation against the militants in the forests of Marbal in Sopore — just a few kilometres away from Dooru. One militant was killed in the operation, which is still going on. On January 7, a policeman was killed and three others were injured in a fierce gun battle at Chankhan neighbourhood of Sopore when police and army cordoned off the area after specific information about the presence of militants. The militant, believed to be a top Lashkar commander, however had managed to escape.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More