BJP MLA Sangeet Som, an accused in the Muzaffarnagar riots, has been accorded Z-plus security following regular intelligence inputs about a threat to his life.
Som was accused by the Uttar Pradesh police of uploading a video, which reportedly sparked communal tension in Muzaffarnagar, where 65 people were killed in September last year.
“This is one of the cases where we have decided to accord security purely on merit and not due to any political intervention. Intelligence agencies have several phone intercepts wherein extreme outfits and individuals are making plans to kill Som. We are not going into the legal cases slapped on him by the UP police. Irrespective of that, he has a threat to his life,” a senior official said on condition of anonymity.
A high-level security committee under the Ministry of Home Affairs, comprising IB officials, decided to grant the security status to Som recently. One of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) will be assigned the responsibility.
“We are yet to decide on which CAPF will be given the responsibility, but it will definitely be a central force. On many occasions we request the state government to accord security on our behalf, but this time, we cannot take a chance. The details are still being chalked out,” the official said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who recently reviewed the security status of VIPs, gave the nod to the proposal after he was convinced that Som faced serious threat to his life.