BJP MLA Sangeet Som, an accused in the Muzaffarnagar riots, has been accorded Z-plus security following regular intelligence inputs about a threat to his life.
Som was accused by the Uttar Pradesh police of uploading a video, which reportedly sparked communal tension in Muzaffarnagar, where 65 people were killed in September last year.
“This is one of the cases where we have decided to accord security purely on merit and not due to any political intervention. Intelligence agencies have several phone intercepts wherein extreme outfits and individuals are making plans to kill Som. We are not going into the legal cases slapped on him by the UP police. Irrespective of that, he has a threat to his life,” a senior official said on condition of anonymity.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
A high-level security committee under the Ministry of Home Affairs, comprising IB officials, decided to grant the security status to Som recently. One of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) will be assigned the responsibility.
“We are yet to decide on which CAPF will be given the responsibility, but it will definitely be a central force. On many occasions we request the state government to accord security on our behalf, but this time, we cannot take a chance. The details are still being chalked out,” the official said.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who recently reviewed the security status of VIPs, gave the nod to the proposal after he was convinced that Som faced serious threat to his life.