RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan on Thursday said individuals without a bank account will soon be able to receive money from those with bank accounts, using automated teller machines (ATM).
“We have recently approved the in-principle setting up of a payment system which will facilitate funds transfer from bank account holders to those without accounts through ATMs,” he said, delivering the DR Gadgil lecture here.
Rajan said the move is driven by the lack of having a formal bank account by millions of our countrymen and also explained how the mechanism will work.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The sender can have money withdrawn from his/her account through ATM machines, he said. “The intermediary processes the payment, and sends a code to the recipient on his mobile that allows him to withdraw the money from any nearby bank’s ATM,” he said.
Rajan asserted that systems will take care of all the issues around security including safeguards of customer identification, transaction validation and velocity checks.
Calling this as one of the benefits of the modern technology, Rajan conceded that mobile companies are already providing such services and laid emphasis on the need for more such innovative products.