Over the years, many things have been said and written about the Lower House of Parliament. Whenever there is a particularly egregious act like the pepper spray incident, we look back on the chequered history of the nation’s most senior lawmakers and wince. But not one of us knows the enormity of the laughably over-the-top incidents that have seen the light of day in Parliament.
This LOL of Fame sheds some light on the most unbelievable and funny incidents from the Lok Sabha’s past.
1. When P Chidambaram presented the interim budget in 2014, he positioned three well-built MPs around himself to act as bouncers, in case anyone had pepper spray or shoe throwing ideas. Every time you read this fact, your head spins a little faster.
2. In the Lok Sabha canteen in 2013, a rice plate cost Rs. 2 and the non-veg thali cost Rs. 22. All this for a set of MPs whose average net worth is Rs. 1.4 crore.
3. Meira Kumar has been Speaker for close to 5 years, during which period Parliament has seen an average of 80 working days a year. That’s 400 days of her saying ‘Baith Jaiye’ an average of 20 times a day, or 8000 utterances of her iconic catchphrase. There’s even an app to commemorate this achievement!
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
4. Deve Gowda holds a unique record among all Prime Ministers in Parliament – he has been caught napping, snoring, and sleeping more than any other PM. And, in his latest Parliament stint from 2009 – 14, he did not ask even one question.
5. We have all heard about wasted time in Parliament due to disagreements and adjournments, but this figure reached an all time high in 2010. During a series of debates on the CWG and 2G scams, more than 93% of the House’s time was wasted.
6. A media blackout on Parliament proceedings was imposed during the Emergency, and was again seen during the Telangana motion. Of course, we were told that the latter was due to a convenient technical snag.
7. Violence in the land of Gandhi is alive and well. Just watch the video below, and then the video after it. If you can identify any difference, there are lots of eagles in the sky who would like your keen eyesight.