Over the years, many things have been said and written about the Lower House of Parliament. Whenever there is a particularly egregious act like the pepper spray incident, we look back on the chequered history of the nation’s most senior lawmakers and wince. But not one of us knows the enormity of the laughably over-the-top incidents that have seen the light of day in Parliament.
This LOL of Fame sheds some light on the most unbelievable and funny incidents from the Lok Sabha’s past.
1. When P Chidambaram presented the interim budget in 2014, he positioned three well-built MPs around himself to act as bouncers, in case anyone had pepper spray or shoe throwing ideas. Every time you read this fact, your head spins a little faster.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
2. In the Lok Sabha canteen in 2013, a rice plate cost Rs. 2 and the non-veg thali cost Rs. 22. All this for a set of MPs whose average net worth is Rs. 1.4 crore.
3. Meira Kumar has been Speaker for close to 5 years, during which period Parliament has seen an average of 80 working days a year. That’s 400 days of her saying ‘Baith Jaiye’ an average of 20 times a day, or 8000 utterances of her iconic catchphrase. There’s even an app to commemorate this achievement!
4. Deve Gowda holds a unique record among all Prime Ministers in Parliament – he has been caught napping, snoring, and sleeping more than any other PM. And, in his latest Parliament stint from 2009 – 14, he did not ask even one question.
5. We have all heard about wasted time in Parliament due to disagreements and adjournments, but this figure reached an all time high in 2010. During a series of debates on the CWG and 2G scams, more than 93% of the House’s time was wasted.
6. A media blackout on Parliament proceedings was imposed during the Emergency, and was again seen during the Telangana motion. Of course, we were told that the latter was due to a convenient technical snag.
7. Violence in the land of Gandhi is alive and well. Just watch the video below, and then the video after it. If you can identify any difference, there are lots of eagles in the sky who would like your keen eyesight.