Thursday, Oct 23, 2014

The CWG dossier on Arvind’s plate

Amid the controversies he is caught in, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has vowed to reopen corruption cases from the 2010 Commonwealth Games held during the Congress regime. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal had earlier said to reopen graft cases in connection with 2010 CWG. (IE: Praveen Khanna)
Written by Rahul Tripathi | Posted: January 27, 2014 12:05 am | Updated: January 27, 2014 9:25 am

Amid the controversies he is caught in, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has vowed to reopen corruption cases from the 2010 Commonwealth Games held during the Congress regime. Rahul Tripathi looks at the cases and their status.

The Commonwealth Games corruption cases that Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has set about reopening have seen the CBI lodge 19 FIRs, only to go on to close eight of those cases. Of the remaining 11, four are said to be on the verge of closure with the cases believed too weak to be probed further.

The remaining seven are in various stages of trial. One of these cases is awaiting the execution of a letter rogatory, the CBI said in an email reply to The Indian Express.

The games were held in 2010, when the Congress was in power in Delhi, by an organising committee headed by Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi.

Of 10 preliminary enquiries, too, eight have been closed as the CBI could not substantiate the allegations. Of the cases that have gone into trial, two are in an advanced stage. One relates to a contract to a Swiss company for timings and scoring; the chargesheet names Kalmadi. The other relates to a contract for the upgrade of the Shivaji and Talkatora stadiums; former New Delhi Municipal Corporation chairman Parimal Rai has been named.

Before the CBI took up the probe, the Prime Minister had appointed the V K Shunglu committee to examine the various contracts awarded and work done by government and private agencies. The committee blamed the then Delhi chief minister, the lieutenant governor, the Delhi Development Authority and various agencies for mishandling of the event. It found that the total approved expenditure for organising the mega event was Rs 14,000 crore and estimated the actual expenditure at only Rs 7,988 crore.

The Shunglu committee suggested a CBI probe. The CBI, which registered its cases between 2010 and 2012 and set up a special investigation team, refers to the Shunglu committee’s findings. “CBI has registered many cases based on the conclusions of Shunglu committee… In quite a few cases, although a number of procedural irregularities have emerged, yet there is no concrete evidence to launch a prosecution,” the CBI said in an internal note.

Here is a look at the various cases and their status.

CLOSED

The figures for approved and actual expenditure are as per the Shunglu committee report. In some cases, the CBI findings about losses caused might not match the committee’s.

SIS Live coverage

Approved expenditure: Rs 482.57 crore

Actual expenditure: Rs 246 crore

UK-based firm SIS Live was awarded a contract of Rs 246 crore for production and coverage of the games. The CBI registered a case on March 3, 2011, against suspended Prasar continued…

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,293 other followers