The situation was on Saturday tense but under control in violence-hit Kanth area of the town which witnessed protests over holding of a ‘mahapanchayat’.
“The situation is calm but tension prevails in the area. Heavy police force has been deployed,” said Moradabad commissioner Shiv Shankar Singh.
The issue of holding of a ‘mahapanchayat’ in Kanth area on Friday turned into a violent protest, during which BJP leaders, including four MPs and an MLA, who was accused in the Muzaffarnagar riots, were briefly detained.
Moradabad MP Kunwar Sarvesh Kumar Singh, Amroha MP Kunwar Singh Tanwar, Sambhal MP Satyapal Saini, Rampur MP Nepal Singh, MLA Sangeet Som and their supporters were among those detained on Friday.
The ‘mahapanchayat’ or gathering was called by the state BJP in defiance of the state order, after a recent dispute in Kanth, over removal of a loudspeaker from a temple, which led to communal tension in the area.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
As many as 65 people, who were arrested yesterday for stone-pelting, firing and blocking the Moradabad-Saharanpur railway track, will be produced before the judicial magistrate today, Singh said.
District Magistrate Chandra Kant, who sustained serious injury in his eye has been referred to a Chennai hospital, he said.
Meanwhile, the railway track which was damaged during the protest is still closed.