Tension prevailed in Singhavali Ahir village in Baghpat district after a 50-year-old Muslim man, who was allegedly attacked by a group of five men from another community, succumbed to injuries in a hospital in Meerut Friday morning.
The victim, Bindu, had sustained head injuries and was referred to Meerut hospital on Thursday night.
The members of his community gathered on road and started staging protests soon after Bindu’s body was brought to the village.
- Behind Bareilly DM’s Facebook post, a tale similar to Kasganj
- RSS to hold biggest volunteers’ meet in Meerut on Feb 25
- Eleven dead in Barabanki: Three died after consuming liquor, others of natural causes, says government
- Uttar Pradesh girl killing: Family stage protest before cremation
- Muslim cleric, his relatives beaten up in train: We realised our skull caps and scarves irked them, say victims
- Tension in Baghpat after Muslim man’s ‘murder’
They blocked Meerut-Baghpat highway placing the body on the road. They also refused to bury the body till all five accused were arrested and compensation promised to the family of the deceased.
The agitation was lifted only after Additional District Magistrate gave them in writing that all the accused will be arrested and a recommendation will be sent to the government for compensation to the family, said Superintendent of Police, Baghpat, Sharad Sachan.
Heavy police force, including PAC personnel, have been deployed in the Hindu dominated village.
Station Officer, Singhavali Ahir police station, R K Singh said on Thursday evening, Bindu’s son went out to purchase some ice cubes and entered in a heated exchange over the price with shopkeeper Kuldeep Kashyap.
The SO said the youth returned home and complained to his father about the altercation. Bindu, too, reached Kashyap’s shop where the latter along with four others allegedly attacked him. Bindu was hit on the head with a bottle which left him seriously injured.
He was rushed to district hospital in Baghpat and then he was referred to Meerut, where he died this morning.
Bindu’s brother Abdul Sattar got a case registered on murder charges against Kuldeep, his brother Sumit, Nitin, Manoj and Nitish. All accused belong to the same village.