Tension gripped Madhotanda area of Pilibhit district after a 10-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a 42-year-old man of another community on Saturday evening.
Protesting against the incident, local residents pelted stones on some shops that were owned by members of the minority community and also set ablaze three makeshift shops. The situation was brought under control by a police team.
- Amid outrage over Kathua, four rape cases lodged in single day in UP; victims in three are children
- Surat rape-murder: Police get custody of main accused
- Punjab: Family of minor rape victim climbs water tank, taken down after three hours
- Another rape case reported from Balasore district, accused held
- Surat: 11-year-old girl’s body found with 86 injuries, rape suspected
- ‘Fake’ Maneka Gandhi letters recovered from 2 arrested cattle smugglers
According to Additional Superintendent of Police Pilibhit, Sudhir Kumar Singh, the accused — identified as Tabajul — had been arrested Sunday.
He added that police had also registered a case against people who indulged in violence on Saturday night but no one had been arrested in this connection yet. However, heavy police force, including senior police officials, have been deployed in the area — which is a Hindu-dominated one — to maintain peace.
Police said Tabajul, a daily wager, is a married man with children and stayed not very far from the victim’s house.
Station officer, Madhotanda police station, Rajendra Singh said according to the complaint, the victim went to a nearby shop to buy biscuits Saturday. While returning she met the accused, who on the pretext of giving her toffee took her to an isolated place and allegedly raped her. After returning home she told her parents about what had happened. Later, the victim’s father along with a few villagers filed a case against the accused.