Tempers ran high in Rajya Sabha on Monday with official papers being torn by some members objecting to the mention of ten MPs for action against them for “violation of rules”.
The copies of House bulletin were torn by V Maitreyan (AIADMK) and T M Selvaganapathi (DMK) during a protest by members over various issues including Telangana statehood and plight of Tamil fishermen.
The House saw four adjournments till lunch without any substantial business being transacted.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Members from TDP raised the Telangana issue, while DMK and AIADMK protested harassment of Tamil fishermen by trooping into the Well as soon as the House met for the day, forcing Chairman Hamid Ansari to adjourn it twice including one within barely a minute after it assembled.
The agitating members again rushed to the Well displaying placards like “Save Andhra Pradesh” as soon as it reassembled at noon, with Deputy Chairman P J Kurien adjourning it for 15 minutes till 12.17 PM.
However, when it met again, similar scenes were witnessed and in the melee Maitreyan and a few others were seen tearing bulletins in which members of AIADMK, DMK and TDP were named for obstructing proceedings.
With the House in disorder, an angry Kurein said, “I know what you want. You want censoring of the proceedings of the House. It is illegal, against rules. It is unbecoming of you. What you are doing is wrong…unruly. I am sorry.”
During the uproar, ministers Jairam Ramesh and Rajiv Shukla were seen requesting Maitreyan not to throw the torn pieces of papers.
Kurien then adjourned the House till 2 PM.