Muslims, who constitute about 18 per cent of the population of Telangana, have expressed concern that they will be marginalised in the new state and have demanded political reservation for their community, sufficient employment, a common minimum programme, return of wakf properties, and an assurance of safety and security.
Representatives of several Muslim bodies met Thursday and stressed the need for political empowerment in the new state. “Muslims will decide the fate of future politics of Telangana state through strategic voting… We want all parties to nominate Muslim candidates in constituencies where there is sizeable population of Muslims,’’ Telangana Muslims Joint Action Committee (TMJAC) president Mushtak Malik said while addressing a conference on the “Future of Muslims in Telangana”.
A draft “Charter of Demands” was prepared during the conference — attended by Muslim leaders from all 10 districts of Telangana. The major demands put forth were 12 per cent reservation for Muslims in jobs and education, at least three seats for Muslims in the state Cabinet, that the first official language status should go to Urdu and that encroached wsakf lands be restored.
Moulana Hamed Hussain Shattari, Sunni Ulema Board President, at the conference asked the community to refrain from indulging in emotional and communal politics and instead make a comprehensive plan for its political empowerment.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest