Backing Supreme Court Judge Justice A R Dave over his call to teach Gita in schools, a leading RSS ideologue on Wednesday said the work is not a mere religious scripture but a spiritual and philosophic classic and called for it to be declared the “national book.”
Joining issue with Press Council Chairman Markandey Katju for raising objections to Justice Dave’s views, P Parmeswaran, Director of pro-RSS cultural forum Bharatiya Vichara Kendram, said that Gita had profoundly influenced India over centuries.
Those who have read Bhagavad Gita once at least, they will understand it is not a religious text. No other book has got such a wide circulation and published with innumerable interpretations like Gita, he said.
“Its influence is beyond time and space. It is a treasure house of knowledge for any fertile mind and its influence is eternal. Mahatma Gandhi figuratively called Gita his Mother and he said whenever he felt confusion and sorrow, he had taken refuge in Gita. Gita has influenced decisively our freedom struggle,” Parameswaran said in a statement.
As a work that taught the highest human values, Gita had always been a solution to the fast deteriorating value systems all over the world, he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Calling for Gita to be declared as the “national book of India”, he said the original copy of the Indian constitution, which carried the signatures of all the members of the constituent assembly, had a picture of “Gitopadesha.”
“The book approved by the constitution, if taught, how does it become unconstitutional,” he asked.
Justice AR Dave on Saturday had said that Indians should revert to their ancient traditions, and texts such as Mahabharata and Bhagwad Gita should be introduced to children at an early age.