Sushma Swaraj, once a star national campaigner and one of BJP’s best orators, has this time kept herself to Madhya Pradesh, campaigning nowhere outside except in Delhi and Haryana since the announcement of general elections.
Her rallies in Orissa were cancelled apparently because her helicopter could not take off due to a technical glitch. She has given a complete miss to Karnataka, a state she has regularly visited. The reason is not far to seek. She had tweeted that B Sreeramulu was taken into the party despite her stiff opposition.
Sushma, who enjoys a personal rapport with Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, has campaigned in some seats in the state but has spent most of her time in Vidisha that goes to polls on April 24. Narendra Modi has found only an occasional mention in her election speeches, where she has emphasised that he was the party’s official candidate for the PM’s job as against the Congress’s nirakaar leadership.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
She won Vidisha with a margin of 3.89 lakh votes in 2009 and does not fail to talk about increasing it to four lakh, a psychological boost making her the number one parliamentarian in the country.
Chhindwara, Rajgarh, Satna, Khajuraho and Guna are among the seats she toured in MP where Chouhan addressed at least 155 rallies by the time campaigning ended on Tuesday. “It’s difficult to count the number of rallies and roadshows Sushma held in Vidisha,’’ one of her aides told The Indian Express without explaining the reasons behind why she showed up only in Delhi and Haryana. But, the aide added, after the end of third and last phase of voting in MP on April 24, Sushma will start campaigning elsewhere. She is set to address rallies in Telangana on April 26 and Gujarat on April 27.
For now, Sushma is keeping a low profile. The only aberration was when shelost her cool when no one turned up to receive her at Shivpuri helipad and gave Guna candidate Jaibhan Singh Pavaiyya a piece of her mind in Ashoknagar.
She has also stopped tweeting.