The Supreme Court on Monday sought a response from the central government on validity of e-rickshaw under the existing legal regime.
A bench led by Chief Justice R M Lodha issued a notice to the government, asking whether e-rickshaw could validly ply under the pertinent motor vehicle rules.
The notice was issued on a petition by Bibhash Karmakar, who sought a ban on e-rickshaw since they were plying illegally of roads.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Union road transport minister Nitin Gadkari had recently come under attack from opponents for allegedly promoting the use of e-rickshaws for the benefit of a company run by his wife’s brother.
Purti Green Technologies Private Limited (PGTL) is one of the manufacturers of e-rickshaws, where Gadkari’s brother-in-law Rajesh Totade is a director with 50% stake.
PGTL was formed under the Purti Group which was promoted by Gadkari though he resigned as chairman of the Group in 2011.
Gadkari, however, shrugged off the charge. He denied any link with PGTL which is one of the seven companies authorized by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research to manufacture e-rickshaws. “Neither Shri Gadkari nor any member of his family is associated with any e-rickshaw manufacturing firm,” BJP and minister’s office claimed in identical statements.