Sahara’s bid to get its chief Subrata Roy released from jail fell flat on Friday after the Supreme Court rejected its plea, lashing out at the group for “insulting” the court while not being willing to pay back investors’ money.
A bench of Justices K S Radhakrishnan and J S Khehar described Sahara’s proposal on refunding investors as “dishonourable”, and refused to order Roy’s release. It posted the matter for Tuesday — and Roy will remain in judicial custody until then. He was sent to the jail on March 4.
Sahara came up with a proposal to pay Rs 2,500 crore within three days, and the remaining amount in five instalments, the last of which was to come in July 2015.
Senior advocate C A Sundaram pleaded with the court to release Roy, claiming it would be impossible to borrow money without him. “One person who can find money is not in a position to do so. Let him come out and he will look for money. Let this Rs 2,500 crore that we are paying up front help him come out,” the lawyer said.
The bench shot down the plea as “not acceptable”, especially in view of the fact that Roy had been jailed only two days ago, and had been free to arrange the money over the last year and a half when the court was asking him to. “We will tell you how this looks to us. You make us sit in a special bench and then you give a proposal which is not acceptable at all. It is a big insult for us to make us assemble in a special bench when you don’t have a proper offer to make. You cannot make judges of the Supreme Court assemble for a man who is not willing to pay,” the court said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
It added: “It is a dishonourable proposal. Come to us only if you have a honourable proposal… a more attractive and acceptable proposal.”