Vice admiral Robin Dhowan, who has been asked to officiate as the Navy Chief, is the frontrunner to succeed Admiral D K Joshi as the government starts the process of appointing a new officer to lead the force.
The sudden departure of Joshi, who had 18 months of service left, has created an unusual situation for the Navy, upsetting calculations that certain officers would make it to the top.
Sources said the government’s choices for a new chief are limited by seniority to three or four officers but Dhowan would be the top contender, although in terms of seniority Western Naval Commander Shekhar Sinha is the most senior after Joshi.
However, since a bulk of the accidents have taken place under his command, his promotion is unlikely. Sinha’s appointment as the Western Naval Commander was itself controversial as previous Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma is said to have opposed it. But he got the post after Joshi succeeded Verma.
Dhowan, who is second in the seniority list, is said to be well versed with the functioning of the Navy in a position where he shadows the naval chief. While he retires in May, he will get an extension of age and will serve as chief for two years if he is picked.
The third officer in contention with an outside chance is Eastern Naval Commander Vice Admiral Anil Chopra.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched